Thursday, January 7, 2010

What to use after I wash my oil painting brushes? to keep them in good condition?

Baby oil.





Really.What to use after I wash my oil painting brushes? to keep them in good condition?
Wash them in white spirit(turps sub) dry them off, if you are leaving them for some time wash them in warm washing up liquid and stand them to dry.I stand mine upright,some hang them bristles down.This has not harmed my brushes in over 50 years and was standard practise in both school and several colleges.Save the white spirit in a closed container,the muck will settle out and can be decanted off for re-use.What to use after I wash my oil painting brushes? to keep them in good condition?
There is no need to do anything. Really clean brushes are ready to be used again. Don't be tempted to do anything to them except store them horizontally and protected from dust.
Getting them clean is the most important thing. Storing them upright like everyone is saying (otherwise the brush can deform and stay that way)





I have used normal hair conditioner to finish up washing.
The best you can use is a cleaner and preservative.





I use the one from old masters.
Mineral spirits (can also be called Paint Thinner by many brands)

No comments:

Post a Comment