Thursday, December 24, 2009

Best way to wash coveralls full of oil?

I have 3 pairs that I need to wash. They all have oil(90 weight) on them. How do i wash and dry them without stinking up the house? Will they ruin my washer/dryer? Will the heat in the dryer do anything to the oil in the fabric?Best way to wash coveralls full of oil?
I am not sure of what to use for soap, but to avoid fouling your clothes washing machines I would take them to a commercial laundry. For a minimal price (compared to a new washer and dryer) you can minimize your risk and still wash them. If I were you I would soak them with a petroleum product such as gojo. Industrial cleaning products such as that are meant to remove oils and should be able to take the oil right out of the fabric. If I were you I would:


1) Rub the gojo into the dry, oily fabric


2) let it soak for about 10 hours


3) Wash the coveralls until the gojo is washed out (this may take a few loads)


4)dry.Best way to wash coveralls full of oil?
Alright. My husband works i nthe oilfield and I have to deal with this al lthe time. Lay the coveralls out and rub or brush some Dawn dish soap (apple scented is great). then wash them with a little more dish soap and some Pine Sol or Fabuloso (apple scented to match the doap). You may want to also ad some baking soda to the wash too. If you have a front load washer then use less product. Make sure that all is out before you dry. Don't use any fabric softener because it can weaken the fabric and takes away the fire protection on them.
Have them dry cleaned, that will remove the oil. Then, wash them to get the dirt out. (I have dry cleaned racing coveralls.)

No comments:

Post a Comment